Ken Harker WM5R
2009 ARRL 10 Meter Contest - Phone Only K5TR (WM5R, op. )


Category: Single Operator High Power, Phone Only
Band QSOs DomMults DXMults MMMults
10SSB
1148
45
4
1
Totals 1148 45 4 1
Claimed score: 114,800

The station at K5TR:

The week before this contest, I mentioned to XE1KK that I had so far never failed to make 1000 QSOs in the ARRL 10 Meter Contest. Up until Sunday afternoon, it seemed like a thousand contacts was going to elude me after all. My running QSO totals were well below what they were in the 2008 contest, and I was running out of time. My multiplier total was also quite low, and I had yet to even hear a South American station (in the end I would not have any in the log). In the end, I finished with about 90 more contacts this year than last year, so my streak is unbroken.

The big run on Sunday did not start going for me until about 1840 UTC, and was really underway only by about 1900 UTC. There were a lot of 2x3 call signs in the pileup, some of whom were clearly uncertain about how to respond with their state. The skip started getting a little bit long toward the end, which helped me pick up most of the W1 and W2 multipliers that I still had not yet worked.

I picked up seven multipliers in the final two hours of the contest. I missed Ak, Hi, Nm, Or, Id, Mt, Ri, and all of Canada except On. I did work a mobile in Dc, and N2NL/MM called in for the R2 multiplier, which was cool. I worked a surprisingly large number of Sd and Wy stations. All of my DX were in Central America except for one Australian station on Friday night, my only intercontinental QSO. I worked half as many Mexican stations as last year. I should do a better job of DX hunting.

Everything in George's station (including the Elecraft K3 on loan from Larry K5OT) worked great except for the Heil headset I brought with me. I'm not sure if it is a connection in the headset or in the 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor, but as the temperature in the room went up on Saturday, the headphones kept cutting out. I eventually had to swap mine out for George's Sony headset, which involved re-attaching the boom mic with several small screws (he'd taken it off for the ARRL 160 Meter Contest). Fortunately, the problem occurred during a very slow time in the contest. Maybe next time I'll bring a spare headset.


Contest Logging was done with TR LOG contest logging software. The following reports and log were created using TR LOG's post-contest processor.


Last Updated 14 April 2016
wm5r@arrl.net